Thursday, January 10, 2013

Catch My Disease

I have mentioned my (high school) job at the Honda dealership in several of my posts. I worked here part time during my senior year and the summer after and then sadly said goodbye as I set out for my Freshman year at college. I didn't know it at the time, but I have kept in pretty regular contact with this old desk and switch board. The office manager is nice enough to ask me to work during school breaks or even an occasional weekend. Needless to say, I am always available upon request due to my sad excuse for a bank account during these poor years of college. Anyway, I like this job for many reasons. For one thing, it is a pretty easy concept. I answer the phone, transfer the customer to the designated area, and wait for the next phone call. There is an occasional paper to file or temporary car tag to make but, other than that, I am free to do my own thing (which mostly consist of Facebook creeping and pinning on Pinterest..OH and making outfits on Polyvore that I will never be able to afford in real life.) All that to say, my favorite thing about coming to work here is that it makes me want to write. During the semester at school I have no time to write because I am so wrapped up in studying and doing things with ADPi and any free time I have is used for other...activities. This semester, though, I am really going to give some effort to reading and writing outside of school. For someone with a major like mine (JOURNALISM Public Relations) one would think that all I do is write. Unfortunately, that is not really the case. Writing for school is also very different than writing on my own. School writing has no passion and usually little interest. I do spit out enough words on a page, hit print, and hope for the best grade possible. Then I forget about it. So, over a week into 2013, I have decided on my resolution. I am going to read and write more for me in 2013. I'm not talking about those sappy Nicholas Sparks and Nora Roberts novels either (no hate to those books by any means, either. That is what I read A LOT). But I want to challenge myself in 2013. I want to read Tolstoy and Steinbeck and Dickens. I want to read the classics. And I want to understand what I am reading and reflect on it. It is going to take discipline because unfortunately I have gotten into the habit of using the fact that I have to read/write/etc or I won't get a grade as a way of making myself do it. No more. So if anyone has any good books worth reading, let me know. I'm a little rusty in the whole book area right now.

In other news, I cannot wait to get back to school. Actually, I could wait on the school part. But I am excited to get back to my house. I got lots of cute stuff for the house for Christmas and I can't wait to put it all out! One example?
https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/?ui=2&ik=ee258d21f1&view=att&th=13c26dcb8385ad63&attid=0.0&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P8ZsGsMkKI934TyXU65DtNR&sadet=1357861844527&sads=kiyevvjDCJ7FY4xjmkUbjUkTPJI&sadssc=1 https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/?ui=2&ik=ee258d21f1&view=att&th=13c26df3903f7e7b&attid=0.0&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P8ZsGsMkKI934TyXU65DtNR&sadet=1357861968419&sads=IEqzmuLCDvp8UhbOLfcdJGO7rOQ
This precious Martha Stewart recipe tin! I love how old fashioned it looks. I've been working on putting all my recipes in it while I've been at work today. :)

Tonight after work I am going to a friend's band show downtown. They are really great...You should check em' out; Your ears will thank you. The Static Trees 

Another band I totally dig right now is Stornoway. Look them up. You're welcome, again.

I feel optimistic for this semester. I see good things on the horizon. My teen years will come to an end in about a month, so I know at least one good thing will come from the next few months. I'll be starting my "twenties"...When I say it like that, I don't know how I feel about it...I guess we'll find out, won't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment