Wednesday, May 18, 2011

To Thine Own Self Be True

"This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man"


This is a rather well known exerpt from Shakespeare's Hamlet. Hamlet is one of the classics that is often read in 9th or 10th grade highscool classrooms. It is read aloud, maybe even acted out, discussed, and then students are tested. 9th and 10th grade are, however, the years when being true to oneself couldn't be farther from one's mind.

It was not until about a year ago that I not only understood this passage, but I embraced it. I was never an overly self concious girl and have always had pretty high self esteem, but I of course worried about what others thought about my clothes, how I looked, and my personality.

The title of my blog is To Thine Own Self Be True because I believe that is one of the most important things people should remember through life. Being true to yourself no matter what is one of the most freeing things ever. My hope for this blog is that it will reflect my true self and my constant effort to remain true to who I am. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment